Monday, June 7, 2010

No Sunlight

Day 73

--STATS--

Artist: Death Cab For Cutie

Genre: Indie Rock

Album: Narrow Stairs

Released: 2008




When I was young
Lying in the grass
I felt so safe
In the warming bath

Of sunlight
Of sunlight

Vast open sky
Could do no harm
Like an embrace
From mother's arms

In sunlight
In sunlight

In sunlight
In sunlight

With every year
That came to pass
More clouds appeared
'Til the sky went black, and there was

No sunlight
No sunlight
And there was

No sunlight
No sunlight
Anymore

And it disappeared at the same speed
As the idealistic things I believed
The optimist died inside of me

No sunlight
No sunlight

No sunlight
No sunlight

And it disappeared at the same speed
As the idealistic things I believed
The optimist died inside of me

No sunlight
No sunlight

No sunlight
No sunlight

No sunlight
No sunlight
No sunlight
No sunlight
No sunlight
Anymore


I have never owned a Death Cab For Cutie album until this year. Now I own almost all. It's not that they are a new discovery for me. I have listened to them for many years. I have liked every song that has come on the radio by their name. I've burned individual songs onto mixed Cd's on various occasions. itunes always suggest that I might like them, based upon my other music purchases. Yet not a single download. I'm not sure why it took me so long, as everything "Death Cab" is so me.

Hopeful Melancholy. That about sums up their musical tone. I don't know what it is, but that strikes the match perfectly. Yes, their lyrics & melodies can appear to sound quite glum, yet I am left with a happy feeling in the end. The song "No Sunlight" I have picked from their latest album "Narrow Stairs." The album is darker than any they have previously released, & the song's subject is bleak, yet I would still label it as an uplifting tune. Strange, maybe, but I am not the only one. It is a general feeling among "Death Cab" fans. At any rate, I cannot imagine myself as a wide ranged music lover without them on my play list. Not anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vss_DUeTAd0

Couldn't paste original video. Worth checking it out on youtube.


Do you see what I mean, or do you feel something else completely?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home