Monday, April 5, 2010

She's mine

Day 26

--STATS--

Artist: Brett Dennen

Genre: Folk/Pop

Album: So much more

Released: 2006


Well, the witches stare with their limbs akimbo,
silhouettes of statues up in the windows
call me to come here with a crooked crescendo,
but I don't.

devotees dance among the fancy minds on the promenade,
into a tabernacle on the lawn,
but I don't follow

because she's mine, she's mine, she's mine, all mine.
Yeah, she's mine...mine...mine...Mmm...

Midnight moved across the peoples park,
& I fled the fire like a spinning spark
up onto a porch in the dark where she was waiting right there for me.

She knows that my hands are empty,
as she goes past the mothers of envy,
& I don't have to fumble in the dark for my keys.

I believe she's mine, she's mine, she's mine, all mine.
Yeah, she's mine...mine...mine...Mmm...

The pupils gather in the yard,
around the pulpit made of cards,
& waited for his leaders words,
but his words didn't make much sense.

His mouth spat out a fist of daggers,
& his tongue swirled in a southern swagger,
& I looked at all the people gathered,
but they were all in a trance.

I believe she's mine, she's mine, she's mine, all mine.
Yeah, she's mine...mine...mine...Mmm...

I was thrown before the court of canes,
tossed my soul to the furnace flames,
where all my hero's had been slain, exiled or put in prison.

Because they rose above the mess,
& because their power posed a threat,
& because they spoke of something else,
when everyone else didn't.

The music fills the space between,
the deities & the prophecies,
of our bodies pressed endlessly,
silent in the sand.

She looks at me so fearlessly,
& I take it all too seriously,
but it all comes so clear to me,
& it makes me understand

That she's mine, she's mine, she's mine, all mine.
Yeah, she's mine...mine...mine...Mmm...

Yeah, she's mine, all mine, all mine, all mine...
Yeah she's mine,mine,mine,mmm...

Yeah she's mine, mine, mine,mmm...
Yeah, she's mine.


This is, hands down, my favorite Brett Dennen song. Don't be put off by the bad hair, he is really brilliant. His lyrics are clever, his voice is fantastic & very his own. I haven't heard a voice like it. Smooth like buttah. I always enjoy listening to Brett Dennen. His music can put me in a very romantic mood. His songs Just like the moon & Ain't gonna loose you" are awesome songs as well, but something about the melody of this song...it might be the sincere & tender way he sings "she's mine" in the chorus. Melts me every time.

This song takes me back to the summer of 2007. One of my favorite summers. I have written about this summer at least once already, but not my occupation. I was working for the best family in the world ( I might be a little biased.) as their nanny to their four spectacular children. I had worked for them first in 2005, but left soon before I had my daughter for a year. I started working for them again in June. After a year of less than stellar jobs, it felt wonderful to be back. Hanging with the kids was great, who's ages ranged from 2-7 years. Among some of the favorite activities we liked to do together were bike rides on the Nike campus, walks through the nature park, trips to the zoo, OMSI, Children's museum & picnics in the park. Boy, did I have it good, & to think I got paid for this! Another benefit of being a nanny was bringing my daughter to work with me. No daycare necessary. It was like getting the benefits of a stay-at-home mom while still being among the working force.

Your probably wondering what this has to do with this song? This song played all the time that summer, along with James Blunts 1973, Gusters Satellite, & Modest Mouses Missed the boat. Colby Caillat had just come on scene with Bubbly, taking the music industry by storm. I played music while with the kids as often as I could. It was that summer I found my favorite station, KINK (101.9) She's mine will always make me think of good times, warm whether, child's play & Beaverton. My one true home.

Does this song make you long for the good old times like me?



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home