Friday, March 26, 2010

Sunrise

Day 18

--STATS--

Artist: Norah Jones

Genre: Contemporary Jazz

Album: Feels like home

Released: 2004



Sunrise, sunrise,
looks like morning in your eyes,
but the clocks held 9:15 for hours.
Sunrise, sunrise,
couldn't tempt us if it tried,
cause the afternoons already come & gone.

And I saw hoo....
Hoo...
Hoo...
to you.

Surprise, surprise,
couldn't find it in your eyes,
but I'm sure it's written all over my face.
Surprise, surprise,
always something I couldn't hide,
when I see we've made it threw another day.

And I saw hoo....
Hoo...
Hoo...
to you.


Now the night will throw it's cover down
Ooh, on me again.
Ooh...and if I'm right,
it's the only way to bring me back.

Hoo...
Hoo...
Hoo...
to you.


Hoo...Yeah...
Hoo...Mhmm
Hoo...
to you.



Norah Jones. I loove her. Love, love love. I didn't immediately get into her when she first came on the scene in 2002. It was her second CD that did it for me (though her first is still very good!). Her modesty & the sense of privacy about her is very refreshing. Her voice is rich & smooth, her lyrics tickle your soul. Her manner is cute & innocent. Plus she brought a bit of old time country to contemporary jazz. Most people who don't connect with jazz can at least appreciate a bit of Norah. I do not play her music in the winter, though. I stick strictly to spring through fall. Her music connects me with nature & makes me crave the sunshine. If I listened to her in the winter, I fear I may not appreciate it enough. She shall be making her appearance in my stereo in a couple weeks after a long grueling separation.

Before I discovered her second CD, the song Sunrise was the first I heard. It was played frequently on the radio the fall of 2004. At that time, I was preparing for my first move out of state (Southern California). The morning I left with my best friend, who was accompanying me on my drive, this song came on. It was very empowering, with the bass beat in the intro. The number brought such energy to the day & inspiration for the changes ahead in my life. Heading into the unknown--kind of scary. I think of this song.

The album did not find me until 2006, when I was pregnant with my daughter. I knew I liked the song Sunrise, & was familiar with her first record & her easy going style. I gave it a go-- and wow! What an instant connection! It was love at first listen. We haven't been a part since ( except during the winter of course!). This collection of songs is my sunny days & fall whether loving, proudly pregnant, connecting with nature, feel good music. One of my top ten album picks for sure. I highly recommend it to you. I believe even if you don't care for jazz or country, you will still welcome this artist, & this CD particularly. Thanks for listening to my rambling. I get really excited about this one. It means so much to me in my life. I even played Norah Jones exclusively at my fall themed bridal shower. It was beautiful.

What does this song mean to you?





Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Cooking with Big E said...

I LOVE Norah Jones! Her music is soooooo relaxing for me. In fact her first CD is what I listened to while I was in labor with Grace.

March 29, 2010 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Notorious M.E.G. said...

Nice. I can't wait to pull her out soon. This whether is so uninspiring though!

March 29, 2010 at 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home