Monday, April 26, 2010

1979

Day 40

--STATS--

Group: Smashing Pumpkins

Genre: Alternative Rock

Album: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Released: 1995



Shakedown 1979, cool kids never have the time
On a live wire right up off the street
You and I should meet
June bug skipping like a stone
With the headlights pointed at the dawn
We were sure we'd never see an end to it all

And I don't even care to shake these zipper blues
And we don't know
Just where our bones will rest
To dust I guess
Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below

Double cross the vacant and the bored
They re not sure just what we have in the store
Morphine city slippin dues down to see

That we don't even care as restless as we are
We feel the pull in the land of a thousand guilt's
And poured cement, lamented and assured

To the lights and towns below
Faster than the speed of sound
Faster than we thought wed go, beneath the sound of hope
Justine never knew the rules,
Hung down with the freaks and the ghouls
No apologies ever need be made, I know you better than you fake it

To see that we don't care to shake these zipper blues
And we don't know just where our bones will rest
To dust I guess
Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below

The street heats the urgency of sound
As you can see theres no one around



This is the only Smashing Pumpkins song that I like, though the album consists of an amazing double set of songs written by Billy Corgan ( S.P. Front man). He wrote fifty-six songs in the period of one year for this album, though only twenty-eight made the cut. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a lot of creative work for one year! The result was a collection of songs said to symbolize the cycle of life & death ( Wikipedia.com). Hmm....I better give it a closer listen, when I have the time.

When this CD came out in October of 1995, things were pretty good. I was a fifth grader at Candalaria Elementary School In Salem, Oregon. I was best friends with Kim McFerron & Elsie Long (Plus Fujii!), & was becoming close with a girl named Heidi White, who before this point was kind of a bully to our little group. No doubt about it though, Kim & I totally ruled the school. Heidi just happened to be the tallest girl in our class & could womp our butts at Tether Ball anytime. And she did--regularly.

At this particular time, my Mother was newly married, & my father was planning a family trip with him, my Grandmother & me to Florida in February. We were going to go to Sea World & Disney World for my eleventh birthday. I was really excited, though I really wanted to bring Kim with me. We thought that if we raised enough money, we could purchase her plane ticket & hotel stay & her parents could send her with food & spending money. Oh how I love the naivety of kids. The big plan was to hold one big huge garage sale in January. We collected our & other friends old toys & knick-knacks. We even snagged items from the school lost & found. we figured we'd make a killing on winter coats & lunch boxes. It's funny to think we thought we could raise enough money to go all the way to Disney World from a yard sale in the dead of winter in the North West. At least we had ambition.


Smashing Pumpkins, the good feeling times of the 90's. What comes to mind?


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home