Monday, April 19, 2010

Fight Test

Day 37

--STATS--

Group: The Flaming Lips

Genre: Alternative rock, indie rock, neo-psychedelia, space rock, experimental rock
( As quoted on Wikipedia. Thought that was funny :-)

Album: Yoshimi battles the Pink Robots

Released: 2002

The test begins now!

I thought I was smart, I thought I was right,
I thought it'd be better not to fight.
I thought there was a virtue
in always being cool.
So when it came time to fight,
I thought I'd just step aside,
and that time would prove you wrong,
and you'd be the fool.

I don't know where the sun beams end
and the starlight begins,
it's all a mystery.

Oh to fight is to defend,
if it's not now then tell me when
would be the right time
to stand up and be a man.
For to lose, I could except,
but to surrender, I just wept
and regretted this moment,
Oh that I, I was the fool.

Oh, I don't know where the sun beams end
and the starlight begins,
it's all a mystery.
And I don't know how a man decides
whats right for his own life,
it's all a mystery.

Cause I'm a man, not a boy,
and their are things you can't avoid,
you have to face them, when your not prepared to face them.
If I could, I would,
but your with him now, it'd do no good.
I should have fought him,
but instead I let, I let him take it.

Oh, I don't know where the sun beams end
and the starlight begins,
it's all a mystery.
And I don't know how a man decides
whats right for his own life,
it's all a mystery.

The test is over now!


I love this group, & this album of theirs, "Yoshimi battles the Pink Robots." The music is airy, with a techno drive to it. The art work on the cover is EPIC. Though this one may be their most commercially known album, they have many others that are great & under appreciated as well. In 1993, they came out with single titled "She don't use Jelly" that met great success. I would describe their music as melancholy without the sadness, if that makes since. Upbeat most of the album & even aspiring at times. Undeniably unique & strange. If your looking for something average & safe, as there name might suggest, you will not find it here. But you will get about 47 minutes of greatness & originality.So...meh. I'd say it's a win.

This album is completely Fall of 2005 for me. Though I sampled the album when it originally surfaced, & cranked the Cd's title song when ever it came on the radio (next to never, really), It didn't find a place in my collection til then. In September of 2005, I had just moved into an old house in the Sleepy town of St. Johns ( or near to it. I was located just blocks from University of Portland). The two I was rooming with really enjoyed this group, so we played it all the time, a long with other music I wish I could remember. This song, Fight test, is the first on the album. I have vivid memories of putting this CD on the stereo, the echoing of the beginning coming on, followed by a blast of harmonious sound streaming in to every room. I would open the windows, letting the warm air flow through as I prepared to do lazy Saturday things, like reading a book, writing in my journal, working on a lesson plan, or cooking something absolutely amazing. When I hear this song, I am in sensory overload. I smell old house, I see beautiful architecture, I taste red wine & french bread with olive oil, & I feel the excitement of a new town. Here is an entry from my journal during this time period:


I was asked a very good question the other day
that I have yet to fully answer,
"What is it about this place
that you love so much?"
I don't expect anyone to really
understand why I decided to
move out here,why I chose to live
in this house
with these people, in this
neighborhood.I just love it.
I love waking up in the morning to
the old house smell, and the
sun beaming down through my window.
I love the house in all it's personality
and imperfections. I love reading in
the evenings, coffee shops at night.
Early mornings waiting for the bus,
poetry on the max, rush
hour traffic. Working on the
weekdays,and parties on the
weekends. I love the
neighborhood with all it's
little shops. I love living
by an university, with so many
resources and possible new
friends. I love exploring the city,
on my own and with friends.
I love feeling distant and
slightly unattainable.I love
not taking things I love
and want to do for granted.
I love that this is new and
still mysterious.
I love that this is mine.
That this is mine to experience,
something all my own. And I did this.
I chose to be here, to put myself
out there. I love that there is
just another adventure waiting
around the corner, and I have
no idea what it might be,
or how it might have reference to my life.
What can I say-- I just love it.
And the best thing is, I'm still continuing to learn
what it is about this place I really love.
We'll just have to see.


The first song that comes to mind when reading this entry is Fight test. What does this song make you think of? Does it have a taste?




This one has Fight test & one more Robot Symphony.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home