Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Basketball Jones

Day 35

--STATS--

Artists: Chris Rock with Barry White

Genre: R & B

Album: Space Jam, the Soundtrack

Released: 1996



Your probably wondering why I am including this song, off of this album, of all choices. No, it is not because it is the greatest movie ever made-- not even close. It's just that I saw this during a great & wonderful transitioning in my life. In the summer of 1996, I had become a big sister for the first time. Krystal Lynn was born August 2nd, at 5:29 Pm. I know for certain because I witnessed it. My eleven year old self stood directly behind the doctor as she pulled my infant sister out to receive her first breath, thus planting the seed for my great love of children, & the process of which they arrive in this world. I had, up until this point, been an only child. My whole life was changing in that very moment.

In the fall of 1996, I began my journey through Junior High. Sixth grade was an awesome year in school for me. I wish I could enjoy another year with such passion as I did then. In October of 1996, after settling into my new role as a Junior Higher & a big sister, my Dad took me & my best friend, Heidi ( I have two friends I consider my besties,if anyone is beginning to wonder if I will ever make up my mind.) to see Space Jam. Being the age I was, I did like the movie ( the ridiculousness of it didn't occur to me until later.), and I bought the Soundtrack for it as well. I'm sure I still have it some where....

I pick this song because I know it was one of Heidi's favorite off this album back then, & it is pretty humorous...as humorous as you can get for a song about a basketball. You might notice I haven't included the lyrics. That's because I accidentally deleted my first posting of this a couple nights ago...after I spent forever trying to depict all the lyrics in this song. Forget it. You'll just have to listen this time around. It's worth it for a few minutes of chuckles. I mean, come on! It's Chris Rock, right?

Anyone else own this piece of iconic history?


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home