Monday, May 10, 2010

Yeah!

Day 53

--STATS--

Artist: Usher featuring 'Lil John & Ludacris

Genre: Rap/Hip-Hop

Album: Confessions

Released: 2004




[Usher:]
Peace up! A Town Down!

[Lil' Jon:]
Yeah, (Yeah!) OK!

(Usher! Usher! Usher! Usher!)

[Lil' Jon:]
Lil' Jon!

[Usher:]
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! Yeah, Yeah! Yeaah!
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! Yeah, Yeah! Yeaah!

[Usher (Verse 1):]
Up in the club with my homies, tryna get a lil' V-I, but keep it down on the low key, 'cause you know how it is.
I saw shorty she was checkin' up on me, from the game she was spittin' in my ear you would think that she knew me.
So we decided to chill

Conversation got heavy, she had me feelin' like she's ready to blow!
(Watch Out! Oh! Watch Out!)
She's saying "Come get me! Come get me",
So I got up and followed her to the floor, she said "Baby, let's go",
That's when I told her I said

[Usher (Chorus):]
Yeah (yeah) Shorty got down low and said come and get me
Yeah (yeah) I got so caught up I forgot she told me
Yeah (yeah) Her and my girl used to be the best of homies
Yeah (yeah) Next thing I knew she was all up on me screaming:

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! Yeah, Yeah! Yeaah!
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! Yeah, Yeah! Yeaah!

[Usher (Verse 2):]
So she's all up in my head now, got me thinking that it might good idea to take her with me,
'Cause she's ready to leave (ready to leave)
But I gotta keep it real now, 'cause on a one to ten she's a certified twenty, but that just ain't me. Hey.

Because I don't know if I take that chance just where it's gonna lead,
But what I do know is the way she dance makes shorty alright with me.
The way she (get low!)
I'm like yeah, just work that out for me.
She asked for one more dance and I'm
Like yeah, how the hell am I supposed to leave?
And I said

[Chorus]
Yeah (yeah) Shorty got down low and said come and get me
Yeah (yeah) I got so caught up I forgot she told me
Yeah (yeah) Her and my girl used to be the best of homies
Yeah (yeah) Next thing I knew she was all up on me screaming:

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! Yeah, Yeah! Yeaah!
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! Yeah, Yeah! Yeaah!


[Lil' Jon:]
Hey, Luda!

[Ludacris (Verse 3):]

Rapping

[Chorus]
Yeah (yeah) Shorty got down low and said come and get me
Yeah (yeah) I got so caught up I forgot she told me
Yeah (yeah) Her and my girl used to be the best of homies
Yeah (yeah) Next thing I knew she was all up on me screaming:

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! Yeah, Yeah! Yeaah!
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! Yeah, Yeah! Yeaah!


[Ludacris (Bridge):]
Take that and rewind it back, Lil' Jon got the beat to make ya booty go (clap)
Take that and rewind it back, Ursher got the voice to make ya booty go (clap)
Take that and rewind it back, Ludacris got the flow to make ya booty go (clap)
Take that and rewind it back, Lil' Jon got the beat to make ya booty go (clap)



I would like to use this song as an example of the things we listen to, though we know we shouldn't ( as Christian examples). I recall on many occasions when this song first came out, driving to church functions with my girls, Usher's "Yeah!" booming on the speakers, and yes, we knew every word. And not because we agreed with everything he was saying, but when it's hot, it's hot. And it was HOT. Meaning, it was the most popular song that I can recall from 2004. It had beat, it had Razzle Dazzle, & it had a cute boy ( OK, man.). The fact that Usher could dance like the next Michael Jackson was another plus. I know all the guys tried to replicate, but just couldn't put it down. The point is, we knew it was a far cry from the family friendly music you would hear on K-LOVE, but we played it anyways. Endlessly & shamefully! Still when I hear the beginning of the song now, the synthesized beat pulses through me & I want to be on my feet. But does that justify it, when the lyrics for the bridge are so inappropriate & offensive, that I can't even post them? Does that justify it, when I can't even play the song when I'm with my children?

I like to blame it on my rebellious streak of 2004. I was at a party ( in which their may or may not have been intoxicating beverages) when I first heard this song. The music video was on, with Usher dancing with the blue strobe lights in the background. I had to have the album right away. The CD Confessions actually yielded many great songs, including "Burn" & "caught up." Confessions seemed to be a proper name for this collection of songs that were both honest & revealing.

Later, in the Fall of 2004, I found myself living in Southeastern California, working as a nanny for a family with three children ( Jayden, 10, Promise, 7, & Trust, 1). Struggling to adjust the the habits & general ways of the family ( The parents, really), I often turned to music during my times of solitude, which were very infrequent. Though bonding with Jayden was tough, as the age might suggest, I do recall one common ground: Usher. On a trip to Washington DC, we found ourselves in the back of a rental SUV, sharing one set of headphones, listening to "Yeah!" on repeat. I do have to say, what an adrenaline rush, listening to this upbeat-Hip-Hop number, driving down the streets of our "Capitol". Streets with so much history & meaning. Thinking of all the powerful figures who might have cruised these very same streets before as well, I just bopped my head to the beat, rolled down my window & breathed in the late night air. Next to me, Jayden grinned & grooved in a similar fashion. I can only imagine what thoughts ran through her mind. For a moment, we were connecting. That's when her mom realized what we were listening to, & the moment came to an end. I can't say I blame her. "Ah, Mom! Dad let's me listen to him all the time!"

Does this song have history with you?


I will post the video, which is even worse than the song in means of modesty. I will agree with one thing that
ludacris has to say ( and this will be a first!), & that's the outfit is ridiculous. All of them. Them girls need some more clothes on their glutenous maxi-mus.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home